8/09/2009

Week #1: buying a new car

I've been inspired to start my own blog. I want it to inspire. Hopefully it will inspire others, but even if it's just me that it inspires then so be it. (Wow. That's a lot of inspiring.)

I've been wanting to do this. The final straw came when I went to see the movie 'Julie & Julia' just a couple of days ago. If you've seen it then you know exactly what I mean. If not, well then you should see it. Meryl Streep is never a let down. And I'm partial to Amy Adams as well.

But what am I to make my blog about? If I want it to be inspiring to me then I don't just want to make it about something I already know a lot about. (Although, there's not much I know A LOT about.)

Long thought process short- I've decided to make it about doing things I have never done before. I'm a big believer in trying things. The more experience you gain, the more knowledge, and knowledge is power. Plus new experiences are just fun! (At least that's what I aim for.)

This week has already kicked into gear without me having to put much thought into what new situation I will be experiencing: Buying a new car. So here it goes...

Today I went to the dealership for my first time. Sure, I have been to a dealership before, but not for my own purchase. Today I went all alone, ready to be preyed upon.

It was not a process I enjoyed. As I expected, I felt like prey. And I told the salesman straight up that I was not going to be buying today. I didn't want to be pressured into anything. But that is what they do best. However I didn't walk away with a car today. So I prevailed! But I do plan to take a car home by the end of the week.

Overall today was a good experience for me to have on my own. A 22 year old female is probably one of the easiest targets to dupe over, but I am determined to get a good deal!

The rest of the week I'll just be trying to figure out the best path to choose for obtaining a loan. Another feat I have never done! This week is turning out to be an easy write.

(And all this came about thanks to the new government deal 'cash for clunkers.' Yes, I will definitely take $4500 for my car that is only valued at $750. Thank you!)

2 comments:

  1. did you know that cash clunkers was a concept the german government launched january of this year, and that, because of its successfulness, quite a few nations have picked up since? so you are welcome! ;)
    ps. when will there be pictures in your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone DID tell me that! So not only did the Germans provide me with my first car (the Mercedes) but in a way also with my second car! Germany's pretty cool.

    I should be able to post pictures tomorrow...At least of my car and whatever other shenanigans I think of... Hope you are recovering well. :)

    ReplyDelete