8/17/2009

Stepping Up to the Oven

Today I made my first homemade pasta sauce. A simple task, but nonetheless one I've never done.

At the age of 22 I haven't done much cooking. My mom wasn't much of a cook, and now looking back I wonder what I ate for dinner most nights growing up.

Thankfully I have been surrounded by good cooks most of my life. From grandmothers to friends. So I personally never saw much of a need to learn myself. And I also think it was partially due to me not wanting to to play into the ideal womanly role of cooking and cleaning all day.

As time has gone on I am beginning to see it as more of a necessity, and something I want to learn so I can not only enjoy the eating process, but also the creation. Now, I don't think I am ever going to be someone who loves cooking all the time, but when the mood hits I want to be able to hold my own in the kitchen.

However...I still demand to hold the right to enjoy my friends' meals who really do love to cook. Maybe now I'll just learn a bit more by watching them than just eagerly waiting for the end result.

PS It turned out well, for my first time. Could have used some basil, but I was out.

No comments:

Post a Comment