10/31/2010

My Burden

Ring.
Ring.
Ring.

I don't want to talk to you
No. I really don't want to.

You're the grey cloud over my life
A sad, true fact.

My life began to unravel at the age of 8 years old
When dad left my mom for reasons I didn't know.

Mom laid on the couch for years to come
Reaching her hand out for me to hold.

And that's how it's been for the rest of my life.

You weren't there when I needed you most
You made me wait more than you even know.

pain.
pain.
pain.

I don't accept the way you are
I don't believe in you anymore
When I was little I could count on you
15 years since you were there to soothe my soul.

Time was my best friend
it had the ability to one day set me free.

When fifteen rolled around,
Used to instability.
Another shot at the heart,
Dad no longer found.

grief.
grief.
grief.

It's so hard because you don't understand
To you I am wrong and have become less than.

You hurt my father
you hurt our family
you hurt me.

I forgive you
I know you aren't capable of sanity.

That doesn't change the past or present
I have freed myself from the strings you tied so tight
I can take care of myself
Been doing it all my life.

You put all your heartache onto my soul
I learned how to walk with bricks on my back.
One by one I've torn them down
until my back bears no burden of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment