10/26/2010

Food for Fall

Tonight for dinner I had a colorful fall dish of roasted butternut squash and a baked sweet potato. It was so good. I had never roasted squash, and have never been a huge fan of it anyway. But roasting it brought out so much flavor. I only seasoned it with some olive oil, a pinch of sea salt, and black pepper. But it tasted as though I had used plenty of butter.

It's also amazing how filling vegetables are. Usually I would add a green or some sort of grain, but I was actually full after the vegetables.

I'm also aiming to eat things that are in season, which is basically macrobiotics. It definitely takes some thought and planning but I want to educate myself and get used to it so that it becomes a natural habit.

Here's a list of what's in season for fall in Florida:
brocolli
cabbage
tomatoes
beans
asian pears
cucumbers
greens
herbs
pumpkins
squash
sweet potatoes

Tomorrow I'm attempting a bean and squash dish. Gotta get my protein!

And actually, that is the number one question I usually get from people concerned about my herbivore diet. Where do you get your protein? Here's a fantastic article about that. I understand, because that was a concern of mine before I did research, but it turns out most people consume too much protein. Maybe that's a factor in my body becoming more naturally slender once my diet changed. I don't know. But the article is informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment