9/24/2012

Social Worker...That's Me!

I am in semester two of receiving a Masters in Social Work. I can tell you I love it. I can especially say that right now while I’m not knee deep in study materials. But even then it’s not so bad. It surely makes a difference when studying something you find interesting and in line with your core values. Being in my second semester, I have only scratched the surface. There’s so much I want to do and I have high expectations for my career in the field.

I am also excited to be a part of changing the way social workers are viewed. If you are like me, before I did my research I pictured all social work as case management; basically being behind a desk all day doing paperwork and then making home visits. That’s only one of the wide array of opportunities to creating a career in social work.

Next semester I’ll be doing an internship. I can’t wait! Not sure where it will be yet. Probably the hospital. I want to first try out working with children.

Here are some Hollywood examples of Social Workers for your viewing pleasure:


 Anna Kendrick played a hospital Social Worker in the Oncology unit. She fell in love with her client. Classic rookie mistake! And a great way to get fired.


Mariah Carey played a case worker, which is the vision that most of you probably first have come to mind. She looks pretty awful... and did a great job!




No comments:

Post a Comment