9/25/2012

Cable: Friend or Foe?


I have mixed feelings about cable. Until last month I did not have cable for two years. Then I took it even further and went without a television for six months. Well, I am happy to report that I now have a television and cable.

I considered continuing my cable hiatus as a way to not support the massive amounts of crap tv that airs. But, television is something I really enjoy. After all, my undergrad degree is in media production and for a short while I worked in media. Thus, I gave up the notion of completely forgoing television, but now I am much more intentional with what I choose to watch.

There were a few reality shows that I had allowed myself to get sucked into like Teen Mom, and some of the Real Housewives shows. But I began to realize that, while watching these shows, I felt really bad. It made me think negatively about people and the world. Why did I continue to watch these shows? For the crazy story lines? Maybe it was the counselor in me wanting to dissect the actions of these insanely selfish, blind characters? Whatever it was I finally realized it was not only NOT benefiting me in any way, but it was making me feel worse!

Since giving up these crappy shows I’ve replaced them with those of more substance and wit. I found I enjoy the Travel Channel, HGTV, and even the History channel. Also, How I Met Your Mother, Friends, and 30 Rock are on at all hours of the day/night; all stellar go-to choices.

So goodbye Bravo, E!, and MTV. No more brainwashing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment