1/08/2012

A Lesson From the 90s

This song just popped into my head a few minutes ago and it got me thinking about how we, in large part, are responsible for saving ourselves.

I believe in a higher power, and 'giving it all to God'- as the Christian realm speaks of. But I think that gets overused along with the phrase 'Let go and let God'. God cannot save us from ourselves (thus, free will). My mother used to say that phrase, and she even had a magnet of it on our fridge growing up. It always rubbed me the wrong way. To me, it sounds like an excuse to sit around and do nothing about anything.

Free will is a powerful tool. It gives you and I the ability to build ourselves up, or tear ourselves down.

"Who will save your soul if you won't save your own?" Well, Jewel, no one.

No comments:

Post a Comment